Last updated: 07/12/2021
- Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative Covid-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of flight departure from Costa Rica. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- Are PCR tests available for U.S. citizens in Costa Rica? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
- Results for COVID 19 tests conducted in San Jose and the Greater Metropolitan Area (GAM) are generally available within 24-48 hours. Tests conducted outside of the GAM, including in remote and costal locations, may take longer to process. It is important to ask the testing facility for the expected date of results when scheduling an appointment.
- Testing is available at medical facilities across Costa Rica. Follow this link for a complete list of properly licenses testing locations.
- Hospital Metropolitano, Clinica Biblica, Laboratorio Echandi and a growing number of private laboratories on the list of government approved labs are now offering Covid-19 antigen tests for travelers. Proof of international travel is required. The results of these tests are available within a few hours. Customers must check with individual labs for testing availability, pricing and length of time for a result.
- Laboratorio Echandi is offering COVID-19 rapid antigen testing onsite at Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) in San Jose and Daniel Obuder Quiros International Airport in Liberia (LIR). Passengers should plan to arrive at least four hours prior to their flights and must present airline tickets at the time of testing. Follow this link for additional information.
- Test results are generally delivered via email.
- Testing is paid for by the individual.
- While most testing locations do not require a doctor’s referral, many do require an appointment. Most locations accept appointments via telephone.
- Costa Rica’s Ministry of Health recommends travelers consider testing needs when planning travel and make appointments for testing immediately upon arrival in Costa Rica.
- Airlines will review COVID-19 test results for passengers either during the airline security question process or when they speak to an agent at the counter. Passengers attempting to leave Costa Rica without valid proof of negative COVID-19 test results or documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel will not be allowed to board the plane. (Please note that most U.S. airlines require a person receiving a positive CV-19 test result to undergo a 14-day quarantine prior to boarding an airline in accordance with CDC guidelines).
In light of this new requirement, we have partnered with our providers and are now offering our guests the option to be tested at several hotels during their stay.
Terms and conditions:
An appointment is required at least 24 hours in advance, subject to availability.
To request the test we must have the full name of the passengers, departure flight time/date, and a copy of the passports
The results will be emailed within 24 to 36 hours or even faster.
Payment must be done by credit card directly to the doctor
All tests will be taken in the rooms
The cost is between $150 / $200 per person, this depends on where you take your test.
Some additional information for your reference:
Test Type: Both PCR and antigen tests will be acceptable.
Kids under 2 years do not need proof of a test
Documentation of Recovery within 3 months – if you have recovered from Covid, you do not have to test if you present BOTH proofs that you tested positive in the past 3 months before your flight and have finished required isolation Along With a letter from your doctor stating that you are cleared for travel
Airlines must confirm the negative test result for all passengers before boarding.
Airlines will deny boarding of passengers if they do not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery.
This applies to both commercial and private flights
Test Time Frame:
If you are flying on a connecting flight into the U.S., the three-day test period begins from the minute your first flight departs to the U.S. – but only if all connecting flights are in the same reservation. If they are not, you need your test to be valid within three days of each flight segment.
If you are flying out of the country for fewer than three days, you can take a test in the U.S. before you depart and use it for your return, or take a rapid test before your return flight
If your flight is delayed past the three-day window, you must take another test to board your flight.
At CRS Tours our priority continues to be the safety of our guests and team members.
If you need additional information, please let us know.
Our reservations team is ready to assist you.
For the latest information on Covid 19 in Costa Rica click here.
You may also find more information here.