Last updated: 27/10/2021
On November 8, 2021, non-U.S. citizens who are not immigrants to the United States will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of their vaccination status to fly to the United States. There will be very limited exceptions to this vaccination requirement for certain non-U.S. citizens who are not immigrants, including children under the age of 18.
Fully vaccinated air passengers, regardless of citizenship, will continue to be required to show a negative pre-departure COVID-19 test taken no more than three days before they board their flight to the United States. For passengers who are not fully vaccinated, the rules will tighten to require a test taken no more than one day before departing to the United States.
All air passengers to the United States will also be required to provide basic contact information to airlines before boarding flights to the United States.
These travel requirements will be effective for air travel to the United States from any foreign country at or after 12:01AM ET on November 8, 2021.
Further guidance on the very limited exceptions to these vaccination requirements, what constitutes acceptable proof of vaccination, and other operational details are available on CDC’s website.
- Are PCR tests available for U.S. citizens in Costa Rica? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
- Results for COVID 19 tests conducted in San Jose and the Greater Metropolitan Area (GAM) are generally available within 24-48 hours. Tests conducted outside of the GAM, including in remote and costal locations, may take longer to process. It is important to ask the testing facility for the expected date of results when scheduling an appointment.
- Testing is available at medical facilities across Costa Rica. Follow this link for a complete list of properly licenses testing locations.
- Hospital Metropolitano, Clinica Biblica, Laboratorio Echandi and a growing number of private laboratories on the list of government approved labs are now offering Covid-19 antigen tests for travelers. Proof of international travel is required. The results of these tests are available within a few hours. Customers must check with individual labs for testing availability, pricing and length of time for a result.
- Laboratorio Echandi is offering COVID-19 rapid antigen testing onsite at Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) in San Jose and Daniel Obuder Quiros International Airport in Liberia (LIR). Passengers should plan to arrive at least four hours prior to their flights and must present airline tickets at the time of testing. Follow this link for additional information.
- Test results are generally delivered via email.
- Testing is paid for by the individual.
- While most testing locations do not require a doctor’s referral, many do require an appointment. Most locations accept appointments via telephone.
- Costa Rica’s Ministry of Health recommends travelers consider testing needs when planning travel and make appointments for testing immediately upon arrival in Costa Rica.
- In light of this new requirement, we have partnered with our providers and are now offering our guests the option to be tested at several hotels during their stay.
Terms and conditions:
An appointment is required at least 24 hours in advance, subject to availability.
To request the test we must have the full name of the passengers, departure flight time/date, and a copy of the passports
The results will be emailed within 24 to 36 hours or even faster.
Payment must be done by credit card directly to the doctor
All tests will be taken in the rooms
The cost is between $150 / $200 per person, this depends on where you take your test.
Some additional information for your reference:
Test Type: Both PCR and antigen tests will be acceptable.
If you need additional information, please let us know.
Our reservations team is ready to assist you.
For the latest information on Covid 19 in Costa Rica click here.
You may also find more information here.